Class

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Didn’t see this coming at all. [LINK]

BBC Three today announces Class – a new 8 x 45 minute Doctor Who spin off from the acclaimed YA author, Patrick Ness. Class is a YA series set in contemporary London. Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Hunger Games), this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you’ve never seen them before.

Steven Moffat says, “No one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness, and now we’re bringing his brilliant story-telling into Doctor Who. This is growing up in modern Britain – but with monsters!”

On his first television series, writer Patrick Ness says, “I’m astounded and thrilled to be entering the Doctor Who universe, which is as vast as time and space itself. There’s so much room there for all kinds of amazing stories, and to work with Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin to find a place to tell one of my own has been an absolute joy. I can’t wait for people to meet the heroes of Class, to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-Levels.”

An 8 x 45 minute series produced by BBC Cymru Wales in association with BBC Worldwide for BBC Three. The series will film in and around Wales from Spring, 2016 and be on air next year.

An utterly bizarre choice that would make sense in one or both of the following cases:

Jenna Coleman will star in it after she’s done being the Queen, and/or
    Patrick Ness is trying out for Moffat’s job. And I don’t mean running Sherlock.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Everybody online is talking about the Paternoster Gang and why couldn’t they get a spin-off, but maybe the actors involved don’t want to sit in a makeup chair for hours every single day. I’d much rather see an Abslom Daak: Dalek Killer show rather than another kid’s show.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

You sound like Strax: “Damn kids!”

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I just don’t want to see yet another show about precocious children getting into wacky adventures every week. I understand that the BBC wants to re-use all those monster costumes they’ve made for Doctor Who to get more of a return on their investment, but it doesn’t have to be another kiddie show. They could always reboot Blake’s 7 but have it take place within the Doctor Who universe like the BBC always wanted (and Terry Nation didn’t). Or if they wanted to go even more mature, Abslom Daak: Dalek Killer.

This sounds like it might exceed your expectations. [LINK]

Although scant few details were revealed about the characters of Patrick Ness’ series themselves, the BBC confirmed that the main cast of school kids—who go to Coal Hill School, the Shoreditch high school most recently seen as Clara Oswald’s place of employment, but also where two of Doctor Who’s first companions, Ian and Barbara, worked as teachers—would be played by newcomers Greg Austin, Fady Elsayed, Sophie Hopkins, and Vivian Oparah. They’ll be joined by actress Katharine Kelly, best known to UK readers as Becky McDonald in the long-running soap Coronation Street, as well as recent turns in Happy Valley and The Night Manager.

And that’s where things get that typically Doctor Who-vian brand of weird. Kelly’s character is a teacher, and described as a “powerful new presence at Coal Hill School”—which, paired with this intriguing synopsis, makes it seems like there’s much more to her character, and even the students, than just being high school attendees:

“Time has looked at your faces now. And time never forgets…”

What if your planet was massacred and you were the sole survivor?

What if a legendary figure out of space and time found you a place to hide?

But what if the things that want to kill you have tracked you down?

And worst of all, what if you haven’t studied for your A-Levels…?

Oh dear. So at least one of them is an alien in disguise then? And that “legendary figure out of space and time” sounds an awful lot like a good place for a Peter Capaldi cameo.

The same articles also confirms that BBC America will carry it.

That synopsis is much more intriguing than the initial news about the show let on, quite frankly.

Some different quotes in Variety, this time likening Class to Buffy…but then, anyone who ever watched Buffy has been able to see the Vampire Slayer’s influence on Doctor Who all the way back to “Rose”. If you haven’t seen the influence…you haven’t been paying attention. [LINK]

Filming on “Class” begins this week. There’s no word yet on a target premiere date for the BBC Three/BBC America series created by Patrick Ness. “Doctor Who” and “Class” exec producer Steven Moffat likened the series to a British version of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.”

“There’s nothing more exciting than meeting stars that nobody’s heard of yet. We had the read through of the first few episodes last week, and there was a whole row of them,” said Moffet. “Coal Hill School has been part of ‘Doctor Who’ since the very first shoot in 1963, but this new show is anything but history. ‘Class’ is dark and sexy and right now. I’ve always wondered if there could be a British ‘Buff’ — it’s taken the brilliant Patrick Ness to figure out how to make it happen.”

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I never watched Buffy – wasn’t my cup of tea. It doesn’t fill me with hope that they keep namechecking it over and over.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

ditto.

Looks like October will be when this premieres.

Capaldi has been confirmed as being in the opening episode.

There’s really not a lot of buzz about it. Either folks just aren’t that jazzed and it’ll wind up being a one-season wonder, or the BBC’s handling of the parent season has really diminished everyone’s enthusiasm for the whole Who universe.

Or both.

No Class until April for the U.S. – no, seriously, BBC America’s holding it for six months. [LINK]

You wait 16 months for a new Doctor Who series – and then two come along at once… At least that appears to be the case for US fans of the show, with the news that American audiences will have to hold on until the spring for both series ten of Doctor Who and BBC3’s YA spin-off Class.

Class creator Patrick Ness shared the details during a Twitter Q&A for BBC America, confirming “They’re gonna launch it with the brand new series of Doctor Who, so it kind of makes sense if you think about. So America will get a whole lot of new stuff all at once…”

If you read the Radio Times article all the way to the end, even the BBC’s own listings magazine is pretty much seeing how this will go from ten miles away.

Strap yourself in for a case study of how to piss away all of your potential ratings because fandom, in all likelihood, will resort to filesharing and forget to show up again half a year later for the “live broadcast”. Remember that when this gets cancelled after one season, BBC.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

You would think that kind of thing would be obvious to them. Make it easy for me, I’ll watch it. I’ll happily buy a show off iTunes rather than just stream it from some service like Hulu. But make me wait for it for half a year? There’s no way I won’t pirate this.

That is, if I had much interest in it, which I don’t. I’ll wait until the series is finished for the overall review on whether or not it’s worth the effort. There’s a nice teaser that just came out, but it still leaves me unexcited.

Just finished watching the first episode of Class… it’s pretty good. Incredibly densely packed. I got into it that the point that I was kind of surprised when Capaldi showed up. This has the potential to be the new Buffy – in fact, they even reference the Hellmouth – with the stories working both on their own and as metaphor to the struggles of growing up, except very much 2016 instead of late ’90s. It won’t be to everyone’s taste, but it’s good stuff. I sometimes give up on shows because they’re “too young” for me; this didn’t hit me that way. I like the characters and the setup.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

That’s my fear, that it’s going to be too “kiddie” for me to like. I lost interest in the Sarah Jane Adventures for that reason. And let’s face it, other than Doctor Who Confidential, I haven’t really gotten into any other Doctor Who spinoff project since they’ve been lacking in quality. Torchwood’s Children of Earth run was the only good thing to come out of that period.

Class is much more Torchwood than it is Sarah Jane Adventures, FYI. Not a kids show at all.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

And yet, it’s still not enough incentive for me to watch just yet. Capaldi is great at the job but his tenure on Doctor Who has been poorly written, and a spin-off show makes me think it won’t be as good as the show it’s been birthed from. I don’t want to waste my effort watching something that’ll get cancelled in a year or two due to terribleness. I’ve gone through that too many times in the past.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed