California Extreme 2016

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

Anyone heard of the California Extreme 2016 event? It’s nearby for me, so I’m extremely tempted to go.

Update: My resistance is low. It was futile. I registered.

I have heard of it. I know people who attend every year.

Unless you’re going to fly out here and hit Arkadia and 1984 in the same weekend, California Extreme is as good as it’s going to get.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’d say California Extreme is far superior to any old school arcade that pops up in big cities nowadays. Mainly because I’ve heard of so many excruciatingly rare games popping up at the California show you’ll never, ever get a chance to play otherwise. All those people who own prototype machines show them off at that show. Games like Akka Arrh, for example. Or the Marble Madness sequel, Marble Man. Actually, there’s a website called unMAMEd that has loads of arcade prototypes that haven’t been dumped, and you’ll see that a good portion of the screenshots were taken at California Extreme.

I’m totally envious of you getting to go. I’ve heard so many good things about that show, and I can’t justify traveling all that way for a weekend there, let alone the expense. Take heaps of pictures!

ZLoth
    ZLoth

The check is in the mail for the conference registration.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Packing up the bags, laptop is all updated.

I’ll set up an FTP account for the heaps of pictures in the meantime. 😯

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Sweet. Let us know how it goes!

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Now, I’m worried when I see something like this on Twitter….

[attachment=0:t7kt74g1]chrome_2016-07-16_09-26-40.png[/attachment:t7kt74g1]

Seems like it was last year or the year before that San Diego Comic Con was giving away, free in the complimentary goodie bags, soap shaped like 20-sided dice.

The demographic here is likely men, and probably men who live by themselves who may not have stellar hygiene.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

My philosophy is…. they should only see you coming…. not smell you coming.

[attachment=0:3m9pwj8f]chrome_2016-07-17_10-11-34.png[/attachment:3m9pwj8f]

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I went to an anime convention in the early 2000s, called A-Kon in Dallas. Yeah, the deodorant thing is definitely something that needs to be said. My nose hair was singed a few times while walking around that place. I believe that the Flash cartoon Foamy the Squirrel actually did a cartoon about A-Kon and hygiene for the next year’s convention.

Some people can’t help it, their body chemistry just naturally creates a stink. A guy I used to work with would shower before clocking in, and he’d be stinky within three or four hours. Some people have genuine medical issues like that, and they tend to gravitate towards nerdy hobbies like anime, video games or sci-fi when they’re socially closed off like that.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Well, the impressions that I got from the convention were as follows:
    * Some people are really into this hobby. (Like anime, Star Trek, Dr. Who, science fiction, comics, etc)
    * I really want to get some of those pinball machines, but even if my wallet was willing, I don’t have the space to put it.
    * I hate to be that guy who brought their machine in, only to sit broken in the corner the entire weekend
    * The biggest problem, from the conference organizations end, was that the T-shirts were back-ordered, and mine won’t arrive for another few weeks.
    * Nobody could hear the raffle numbers.
    * Beyond those two issues, if there were any organizational or logistical issues, I sure didn’t see them.
    * Hats off to the volunteers
    * The hotel was very expensive. $149-$199 per night. But, then again, I could hook up to five devices to the hotel WiFi. I brought three – tablet, cell phone, laptop. This was three more than Caesar’s Palace from last year (which had a limit of two devices).

Going back next year? I’ll have to think about it.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Could you not hear the raffle numbers because they were blaring ’80s pop music at deafening volume? That seems to be an annoying trend at the pinball shows I’ve been to. I would much rather have no music whatsoever. I love the ambient sounds of an arcade, undisturbed by random Disco and New Wave songs. When I have gone to conventions like that, I feel the desire to hook up a quality microphone to a digital recorder and record the sounds of a room full of arcade machines in use once again.

@Steve W wrote:

I would much rather have no music whatsoever. I love the ambient sounds of an arcade, undisturbed by random Disco and New Wave songs.

You sound like someone traumatized by a “DJ” who blasted harsh noise (and Garageband demos) directly into everyone’s skull at deafening volume at your favorite video game expo one year. 😆

ZLoth
    ZLoth

No music was blaring (thank goodness), but you could barely hear the announcements over the game noise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed