Bryan Fuller leaves reboot of Amazing Stories

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction American / Canadian SF Bryan Fuller leaves reboot of Amazing Stories

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Does this guy stick with anything? [LINK]

Apple hasn’t yet launched a scripted series but it has parted ways with its first showrunner.

Bryan Fuller, who was poised to helm Apple’s Amazing Stories anthology, has exited the project citing creative differences. The split is said to be amicable. Fuller, who originally developed Amazing Stories for NBC before it moved to Apple with a series pickup, is said to have wanted to do a Black Mirror-type show, which sources say was not something the iPhone maker had in mind.

Fuller was first attached to Amazing Stories in October 2015, when the individual episodic anthology was set up at NBC. (The series originally ran for two seasons in the ’80s on the broadcast network when it explored strange, fantastic and supernatural stories.)

The news of the showrunner’s Amazing Stories departure comes after Fuller and Michael Green were fired from Starz drama American Gods following a budget dispute with producers Fremantle, who wanted to produce the high-concept series on a reduced per-episode fee. Jesse Alexander, who worked with Fuller on Star Trek: Discovery and Hannibal, will take over as showrunner and will work alongside Neil Gaiman on season two of American Gods.

Fuller’s dismissal from American Gods came after he was asked in October 2016 to step down from CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Discovery after what he said were issues with producers CBS Television Studios over the show’s budget, casting and more.

Twitter is crawling with rumors that he’s going to be showrunner of a yet-to-be-announced live-action Star Wars TV series, but if I were Disney or Lucasfilm, I’d be wondering what’s up with his habit of bailing on everything.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It would be nice if these guys weren’t all crushed under the weight of all the non-disclosure agreements they have to sign. I know that companies that hire these guys don’t want to let the world know they’re all a bunch of incompetent idiots, but seriously, let the people explain themselves when situations like this keep happening. I’m guessing that the multiple layers of management need to get overpaid for their non-participation and therefore every episode’s budget needs to be slashed in half. Then the production staff struggle to get anything made with no money and management that constantly alter everything mid-production, based on focus groups and chasing trends and all-around bad decision making. It’d be great if Fuller could let the world know that it’s crappy management in these projects and not him, if that is the situation here.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.