Blake's 7 answering machine messages

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi On The Screen Blake's 7 answering machine messages

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Recorded in 1995, my dear friend Peter Tuddenham records three answerphone messages in the style of “Orac”, “Zen” and “Slave” from the TV series “Blake’s 7”

Who among us wouldn’t like to just invite Tudders over and have him record the voice of Orac or Zen or Slave for us? 😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

The Zen one made me incredibly happy. The foley work on those was phenomenal.

Now I have to wonder… is there even a use for these kinds of messages? I honestly don’t know, I haven’t even set up my voice mail box on my iPhone.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

The background sounds accompanying Orac and Zen’s speech from the show are readily available. (I’ve got an import CD that I traded VHS tapes of various shows for with a bloke in Scotland, and I’ll be damned if it isn’t one of the handiest CDs I’ve ever owned, featuring sound effects loops from Blake’s 7 and Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy. There’s a reason it has survived multiple CD collection flips/purges.) The rest is just putting the right amount of reverb on it.

I actually would’ve liked it had he repeated the footage with no foley or reverb – it’d be neat to hear how much of what we think of as Orac or Zen’s voices are the post-production, and how much was the man himself. I think Orac’s voice treatment is enhanced immeasurably by the “looped/sped-up swarm of angry bees” sound that, for some reason, someone at the BBC in 1978 decided would be a perfectly normal sound that a supercomputer would make. (If any of my computers ever makes anything approaching that noise, it’s a sign that it’s about to be a lot less super as soon as the fan fails.)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.