Big and Bigger

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Flack 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Flack
    Participant

At Toys R Us the other day I spotted a bunch of 18″ tall Star Wars figures. I already owned two of these (Biker Scout and TIE Pilot) but this was a four pack with Luke, a Stormtrooper, Vader, and a Tusken Raider. They’re being made by Jakks, and according to Amazon there are a bunch more out there including Bossk, Greedo, Han, Chewie, and Jedi Luke. I picked up Chewbacca at the mall over the weekend. MSRP for these things is $20 a pop.

THEN, I found the big-BIG figures — 31″ tall figures. I picked up Han and Luke both in their Stormtrooper armor. I already had the 31″ Darth Vader from last Christmas.

The biggest problem with these figures is… where to display them! The 18″ figures looked small in the store when standing next to the 31″ ones, but once you get them home and see just how much bigger they are than the vintage 12″ figures… yeah, I’m at a loss. The two 31″ troopers are standing guard outside my room on each side of the door like cheap lion statues.

I should note that both of these lines have new characters from Star Wars Rebels as well. Not interested.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

How long before you get the 72″ (or shorter, depending on how tall Han Solo is) action figures? It’s clear that’s the next step.

Flack
    Participant

Well, they make them.

This one’s around $2,300, which doesn’t include shipping. They’re made by a company called Gentle Giant and are made by doing 3D scans of the original 3 3/4″ figures and then upsizing them for lack of a better word. They also make 12″ versions of the 3 3/4″ figures using the same technology and then put them on cards that look like the originals too. Those are around $75 and I don’t have any of them.

If I were a millionaire and needed a 6′ guard to stand outside my Star Wars room? Maybe. Until then, I’m out.

Apparently there are uses for these large-scale figures that we hadn’t even anticipated. [LINK]

Police about 7:45 p.m. were dispatched to a “reported disturbance,” though the affidavit didn’t state whether it was a disturbance in the Force. Investigators went to the back of the home and saw Alagao strike her boyfriend with an approximately 2-foot-tall Stormtrooper figure.

Alagao, of Southwest Palm Drive in Port St. Lucie, was arrested on a battery charge. She was taken not to Mos Eisley or the Death Star, but to the St. Lucie County Jail.

Sounds like a rancorous relationship to me.

Flack
    Participant

FEEL THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE YOU A-HOLE!

A stormtrooper aiming at you? Guaranteed miss.

Someone aiming a stormtrooper at you? WHAM!

Flack
    Participant

Aw man, that was cute, back when I only owned two (and then six) of those 18″ figures. Now I own close to a dozen and a half of them, because I’m sick in the head like that.

As I predicted, they are a pain in the ass to display. They look great, but.. ugh. Not only are they two feet tall, but because of their arms and weapons they are tough to smoosh together side by side. On one shelf I have them overlapping two and in some cases three layers deep. It’s not an ideal display situation but it’s the only other place I have them. The rest of them are on a shelf over my upstairs television, with all the guys in black (Vader, Maul, TIE Pilot, Kylo Ren, and somebody else) and on the right all the bad guys in white (stormtroopers, snowtrooper, Biker Scout).

What really pisses me off about these figures is that they are all $20, except the smaller ones (R2, BB-8, Yoda) which are all $30-$40. WTF? THEY’RE LESS PLASTIC, gah! So I don’t have those yet, and I don’t have what I call the “head swap” troopers — a stormtrooper with FInn’s head, a stormtrooper with Han’s head, etc.

I’m cutting myself off as soon as this line ends, I swear.

Yeah, this is a case where I saw these in the stores and said “You know what? NOPE. No room for ’em.” I’m a handful of characters away from declaring the cutoff point with the current 3 3/4″ figures until…well…Rogue One…this Christmas. Dammit.

Also sick in the head, but on a much tighter squeeze where both money and space are concerned. 😆

Flack
    Participant

I’ve all but cut myself off from buying Star Wars related items. I quit buying the 6″ ones because they won’t stop making them and I can’t keep up, lol. These 18″ figures are probably my last hurrah.

I used to really feel that “gotta get ’em all” pull but not so much anymore. There are three figures from the Rebels cartoon in this same size. Didn’t watch the show, not interested in the figures… and for the first time, I’m okay with that.

Someone said that the 6″ figures are being discounted at Walmart and Kmart so if I am out and about and run across one on sale I would probably pick one up, but my days of buying them all through Amazon at $20 a pop are probably over.

Flack
    Participant

It’s tough to show the scale here.

That’s a 60″ television they are standing above.

@flack wrote:

That’s a 60″ television they are standing above.

Giant plasma? Check.
    Giant Phasma? Check.

Flack
    Participant

@flack wrote:

What really pisses me off about these figures is that they are all $20, except the smaller ones (R2, BB-8, Yoda) which are all $30-$40. WTF? THEY’RE LESS PLASTIC, gah! So I don’t have those yet, and I don’t have what I call the “head swap” troopers — a stormtrooper with FInn’s head, a stormtrooper with Han’s head, etc.

I have a stormtrooper with Finn’s head and a stormtrooper with a red pauldron (to go with my stormtrooper with an orange pauldron) so… yeah, I’m an idiot.

I was wrong about the shorter characters. They’re 18″ tall too, making them completely out of scale. Actually, R2-D2 is 20″ and C-3P0 is only 18″. Yoda is also 18″ tall. I guess they are on scale with the 31″ figures but I am avoiding those.

I refuse to buy any of the Rebels figures. You can get the Inquisitor, Ezra, Zeb, and Kanan all for less than $20 (which is MSRP) on Amazon. Some of them are $10.

I also refuse to buy the Elite Forces Tie Fighter Pilot. Best I can tell, it’s the same as the Tie Fighter Pilot with 2 red stripes. That’s pushing it, even for a dumb collector like me.

Here are the ones I don’t have. I put the Amazon prices next to them so you will know why I don’t have them.

Yoda ($27.99)
    R2-D2 ($40.70)
    C-3P0 ($41.48)
    C-3P0 Premium Exclusive ($67.99)
    Vader Hologram Exclusive ($99.95)
    BB-8 ($79.99)

My 18″ collection is already split up between two different rooms and I don’t have space with either one to add these two so maybe I will just use one of them to bash my own head in.

What have you heard about Rogue One figures? I keep hearing this persistent rumor that they’re going to keep that movie entirely in the 6″ scale Black Series – no 3 3/4″. I haven’t really been keeping up with toy news because I’ve been trying extra hard to avoid spoilers, but…I’m gonna be really pissed if they do that.

Flack
    Participant

I heard something about that but I think the confusion is that they may not be releasing 3 3/4″ BLACK figures.

September 30 is Rogue Friday. I just searched it and found a picture with 7 3 3/4″ figures set to be released that day. I think you’re safe. 🙂

Star Wars Rogue One 4″ Figures Wave 1 Revealed & Photos!

I may be safe, but my wallet is not! Heh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed