Bear McCreary starts his own label, issues Defiance game OST

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Music Soundtracks Bear McCreary starts his own label, issues Defiance game OST

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Bear McCreary is going it alone, starting his own label. [LINK]

BEAR MCCREARY ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF A NEW LABEL:
    SPARKS & SHADOWS

Upcoming Soundtrack Releases to Include:
    Defiance – TV Series and Video Game (SyFy & Trion)
    Da Vinci’s Demons (STARZ & BBC)
    Europa Report (Magnet)

(April 11, 2013 – Culver City, CA) Composer Bear McCreary announces the launch of Sparks & Shadows, a new boutique record label that will release soundtracks primarily composed by the Emmy-nominated composer. The first four releases from the label will include two albums for Defiance (the Trion Worlds videogame and the SyFy television series), Da Vinci’s Demons (STARZ, BBC) and the upcoming feature Europa Report (Magnet). McCreary, listed by Io9 as one of the ten most influential science fiction composers in history, was recently named a “Secret Weapon” by WIRED Magazine.

“I value the soundtrack album experience, because score records are what first led me down the path to becoming a composer,” explained McCreary. “I was a fan and collector long before I became a professional musician. I have always looked for ways to deliver my original scores to fans so they can have the same experiences.”

Sparks & Shadows will release two soundtracks of McCreary’s music for the groundbreaking multimedia science fiction epic Defiance, the first attempt to launch a new franchise in both the television and videogame mediums. The game combines the intense action of a third-person shooter, with the persistence and scale of a massive online game, while its television counterpart exudes the sweeping scope and heroic characters of classic science fiction dramas. The videogame album was released digitally on April 2nd.

The Defiance TV series soundtrack album will be available for pre-order late May, and will include both original score and songs. For the collectors, a limited edition combined multi-CD set will be released in late summer, featuring exclusive liner notes and bonus tracks.

For whatever it’s worth, I’ve been listening to the Defiance game soundtrack, and it’s unlike anything I’ve heard before. It’s like McCreary-gone-dubstep, though most of the time – not all of the time, but most of the time – he stops short of getting into the really annoying parts of dubstep. 😆

In the same post above, he gives a less-press-releasey explanation of what’s up:

The primary goal of this label is simple: to bring you the music you want, when you want it. We will fully utilize digital formats in an effort to make music available to you the instant you hear it on TV, in a game or in a movie theater.

This label is an interactive forum. You tell us what you want, and we’ll do everything in our power to make it happen. Quicker digital releases? Expanded CDs? Sheet music? Ring tones? Let us know what you want through Facebook, Twitter and our soon-to-be-expanded website, SparksAndShadows.net.

Sparks & Shadows was founded for every one of the thousands of fans who’ve ever reached out to me and asked if a piece of music was available to them. From now on, I want the answer to be a resounding “Yes!”

Our emphasis will be on digital releases for the sole reason that digital can happen faster. My work in television moves at a break-neck pace. Music you’re hearing on the air may have been written as little as seven to ten days prior. There’s absolutely no way to mass-produce and distribute a physical CD on that kind of turn around. That does not mean, however, we will neglect the true collector. I’ve heard from many fans that have purchased signed copies of every CD I’ve ever released, and I know they will always prefer an album that can be seen and held. As albums merit physical CD releases, Sparks & Shadows will release limited edition CDs, with all the exclusive liner notes and bonus tracks fans have come to expect from my discs. If you’ve started a collection of McCreary CDs, you will be able to expand it.

By golly, I think somebody gets it, and is gonna make some money off the deal. Many years ago, I thought Chris Franke was about to have this same revelation, back when he was doing the Babylon 5 episode-by-episode soundtracks, but unlike McCreary, Franke’s stuff didn’t offer enough variation to merit anyone except insane completists like me picking up each and every release.

McCreary also says that he’s going to do his best to make a Walking Dead score release happen on the new label, which has been requested by gazillions of folks on Twitter, and yet continues to go ignored by both AMC and La-La Land (Bear’s previous label). AMC did license an album of songs heard in Walking Dead, with nothing more than just the main theme representing McCreary’s music (which vastly outnumbers the songs-by-other-artists). Fans seemed to be pretty unimpressed with this. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Walking Dead soundtrack, or lack thereof, was where this label started to happen.

The Defiance game soundtrack can already be grabbed in the Store, by the way.

Here’s the Defiance TV soundtrack, also from Bear’s private label…

Sparks & Shadows will release a soundtrack album for Syfy’s original series Defiance. The album features selections from the show’s original music composed by Bear McCreary (Battlestar Galactica, The Walking Dead). Also included are four songs by the indie rock/pop band Young Beautiful in a Hurry. The soundtrack will be released digitally on June 17, 2013 and is now available for pre-order on Amazon. Check out audio clips after the jump. The label has previously released a soundtrack for the Defiance crossover MMO video game. Defiance created by Rockne S. O’Bannon (Farscape) and starring Grant Bowler, Julie Benz, Stephanie Leonidas, Jaime Murray, Tony Curran, Graham Greene, Mia Kirshner and Fionnula Flanagan currently airs every Monday night on Syfy. To learn more about the sci-fi series, visit the official show website.

1. Defiance Main Title – Bear McCreary
    2. The Ritual of Perpetual Motion (feat. Raya Yarbrough) – Bear McCreary
    3. Flirting With Disaster – Young Beautiful in a Hurry
    4. Before the Votans – Bear McCreary
    5. Welcome to Defiance – Bear McCreary
    6. Terraform My Heart (feat. Brendan McCreary) – Bear McCreary
    7. Baby Blue – Young Beautiful in a Hurry
    8. Castithan Bath – Bear McCreary
    9. Ooh Child (feat. Raya Yarbrough) – Bear McCreary
    10. Lost to the River – Bear McCreary & Brendan Mccreary
    11. Outside over There – Young Beautiful in a Hurry
    12. Worth Dying For – Bear McCreary
    13. Concerto for Insects – Bear McCreary
    14. Time After Time (feat. Raya Yarbrough) – Bear McCreary
    15. Besásh (feat. Raya Yarbrough & Brendan McCreary) – Bear McCreary
    16. Kalagyi Anaila Kaziri – Bear McCreary
    17. Courage Under Fire – Young Beautiful in a Hurry
    18. Battle of the Volge – Bear McCreary
    19. Nolan and Irisa Reunite – Bear McCreary
    20. Castithan Wedding Song (feat. Raya Yarbrough) – Bear McCreary
    21. Lawkeeper – Bear McCreary
    22. Gone Again (feat. Brendan McCreary) – Bear McCreary

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

Ugh. I’m having an off day. I saw what you posted, rushed to Amazon and bought what I thought was the Defiance soundtrack only to discover it was the soundtrack to the Daniel Craig movie. Derp.

EDIT: There. I bought the game soundtrack via your link. Should have done it in the first place.

EDIT2: Bear sure likes Dubstep. A LOT.

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

I just bought the TV soundtrack. It came out on Monday. I waited for you to post a link from your site so you could get some Amazon money, but I got impatient.

Ooh! There’s a Fringe sound track (season 2)! Should I get that too? /me listens to samples before deciding.

EDIT: Bought that too. Someone should take my access to Amazon away.

EDIT: Well, since I bought season two soundtrack, I might as well get season one. $28 in 5 minutes. I must stop now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.