Atari Flashback Portable

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

I got one for E. The last/only one in Fort Smith.

We’ll see how/if he likes it. I forgot to get an SD card, though; I’m trying to scrounge to see if I already have one somewhere. He’ll be wanting to play Blue Print on it (that’s his favorite 2600 game); I think he’ll like this better than trying to play on the phone.

It’s a lot smaller than I expected.

Flack
    Participant

Here’s my review after messing around with mine for a couple of hours.

The screen is small, but looks good. After dealing with crappy screens for years on portable games that cost a lot more than this one, I was impressed. That being said, almost everything else on it feels pretty cheap. The d-pad is one step above garbage, although it does seem to be getting better the more I mess with it. Either I’m getting used to it, or it’s breaking itself in.

For the 60 games, they must have found half of them in another New Mexican landfill. I’m not a major Atari 2600 collector or anything, but I have ~300 cartridges and I’ve never heard of half of these. I also wonder if anyone played some of them? The paddle games are somewhere between difficult and impossible to control with the d-pad. I challenge anyone to find a review of this thing that says Circus or Breakout controls like a dream.

I was most excited to try out the SD card, but so far, no dice. I’ve tried two different cards and tried renaming the files and putting them in a Game folder, but it won’t recognize either one of them. I’ve tried FAT and FAT32, with 100 games and with only 1. Not sure what else to try to get it to work.

The games I would most like to play on this thing are River Raid, Pitfall, Space Invaders, Ms. Pac-Man and/or the new 4k Pac-Man, Defender, Pole Position, Dig Dug, and a few others. I don’t think it has any of those. I’ll give them credit for including Centipede, Yars’ Revenge, and Asteroids, although the collision detection on Asteroids seems really off.

I don’t hate it, but I expect it to end up in the bottom of a drawer within the month.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I have an 11 inch MacBook Air with OpenEmu installed. I think I’ll just stick with this, since most versions of the Flashback have turned out to be a disappointment. Who on Earth wants to play the game Home Run in 2016? Or Sky Diver? They need to stop being scared of spending money on licenses, and get some of the best third-party games on the latest versions.

I love OpenEmu. I’ve probably got five hundred Atari 2600 titles alone. And it finally gives Mac users access to emulators for machines like the Atari 7800, Wonderswan, Virtual Boy, Neo-Geo Pocket, Sony PSP, NEC PC-FX, Sega Saturn, and Nintendo DS all wrapped up in a super easy to use package.

@flack wrote:

I’ve tried two different cards and tried renaming the files and putting them in a Game folder, but it won’t recognize either one of them. I’ve tried FAT and FAT32, with 100 games and with only 1. Not sure what else to try to get it to work.

Have you tried naming the folder GAME in all caps?

Flack
    Participant

@earl wrote:

@flack wrote:

I’ve tried two different cards and tried renaming the files and putting them in a Game folder, but it won’t recognize either one of them. I’ve tried FAT and FAT32, with 100 games and with only 1. Not sure what else to try to get it to work.

No, just “Game”. I’ll try that later today, thanks.

Flack
    Participant

@Steve W wrote:

Who on Earth wants to play the game Home Run in 2016? Or Sky Diver?

You don’t even get either of those on the portable. Instead you get classics like Aqua Venture, Fatal Run, and Save Mary. Sky Diver would have been a sight for sore eyes.

I was surprised how many AtariAge homebrews and past AtariAge repro titles were on this thing – Sabotage? Yars’ Return? Atari Climber? Are those people being compensated every time another Flashback includes those decidedly not-from-the-80s titles, or did they have some measly lump sum thrown at them and modern Atari gets to recycle those in perpetuity?

So far, games that I have found do not work when loaded from the SD card:
    Pac-Man (really, no great loss)
    Cosmic Ark (there’s a pre-release WIP ROM that doesn’t have stars – use that and you’re fine)
    Q*Bert (does play, but it’s kinda borked)

I haven’t even tried anything like Pitfall II or Supercharger games yet.

Flack
    Participant

@earl wrote:

@flack wrote:

No dice.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@earl wrote:

So far, games that I have found do not work when loaded from the SD card:
    Pac-Man (really, no great loss)
    Cosmic Ark (there’s a pre-release WIP ROM that doesn’t have stars – use that and you’re fine)
    Q*Bert (does play, but it’s kinda borked)

Really, you’re not losing out on any amazing gameplay there. I was tired of Cosmic Ark a long time ago, and Q*Bert is ugly as hell. They should have tried to do without the cubes like the Odyssey 2 version. Oh well, Quick Step from Imagic and Boing! from First Star Software are just as good. Frostbite is also in that kind of tile-hopping genre and it’s a winner.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed