Atari Flashback Portable

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

60 2600 games in handheld form, coming this October.

[attachment=0:1soa8hqa]flashyback portable.jpg[/attachment:1soa8hqa]

There is about a 100% chance I’ll be getting one of these for the kids.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

DAMN IT! HERE! TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

EDIT: Actually, that’s pretty cool and makes you wonder why they didn’t do this a couple years ago. I have a Sega portable that’s slightly smaller than the Flashback portable appears to be. I play Sonic and Crystals on it occasionally. It’s great for travel and I took it to MGC with me. I look forward to owning a new Flashback portable. Or two of them.

Yeah, that thought has occurred that two of these are in order.

Otherwise it’ll be “DAAAAAAAAAD!” (and that’s just from the cats.)

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It sucks that it’s just a portable version of the regular Flashback, which means you can now play Canyon Bomber and Sky Diver on the go! I would be far happier if they could throw in an assortment of 5200, 7800, Lynx, Atari 800 and classic arcade titles into the mix. There’s only a few really good non-licensed Atari 2600 games that are ever put on the Flashback. Hell, if they threw in Jaguar games I’d be all over this thing.

I don’t really need one since I have Atari Retro for the Palm OS and Nokia N-Gage. Adventure anywhere I want to play it! Shoot, Atari Masterpieces Vol. 1 had better games than the Flashback, they were all arcade games with a few unlockable 2600 titles. Black Widow and Red Baron were standouts. I wish I hadn’t loaned my N-Gage QD to my brother (since he seems to kill all electronics, including my N-Gage).

I have Atarioid on my Android phone, along with every ROM ever released for the thing, barely taking up any space. I wouldn’t be getting a porta-Flashback for myself. I’d be getting it for kids to whom I’d no longer have to hand over my phone. 😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I looked at the Atari 2600 ROM folder on my computer, there’s only about four megabytes in total.

I really wouldn’t want to play Atari games on a phone. I tried that with one of those Infogrames Atari 2600 releases early on for the iPod Touch and iPhone. It was not a great experience. Pretty much any action game on a touchscreen leaves me at a loss as to how to play it. I need physical controls with nice clicky buttons and a good D-pad. I bought a USB Atari joystick just for full authenticity. Plus, it’s transparent and is filled with blue LEDs, it’s sort of a version of an Atari joystick in the Tron universe.

Gapporin
    Participant

@Steve W wrote:

Pretty much any action game on a touchscreen leaves me at a loss as to how to play it. I need physical controls with nice clicky buttons and a good D-pad.

I’m exactly the same way. I picked up one of these and it works great.

Flack
    Participant

I picked up one of these. Likewise, happy with the purchase.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@flack wrote:

I picked up one of these. Likewise, happy with the purchase.

I remember that machine. You mentioned it in another forum in February last year and SteveW and I were waiting on you to follow up with a review of your experiences with it. Sadly, no review. 🙁

So, in June of last year, I bought my own and then…um…proceeded to NOT write a review about it. 😳

Anyway, the physical controls and the mapping software that came with it are good…depending on the game you are playing. For example, I played “Thomas Was Alone” on it and it worked really well, for the most part. The buttons for jumping and moving were great but the buttons for selecting which character to use got dicey at times because the location of the controls on the screen changed, especially when you got three or more characters to switch between.

Some other games? Not so much. Mostly because those games were designed for touchscreens. I am playing one puzzle game from Humble Bundle and you have to swipe the pieces on the screen and those positions change with each new level.

It’s the old arcade games that work well with the JXD since their positions on the touchscreen do not change. I haven’t played too many of those on my JXD to offer an opinion but, when I do, I will (I probably should update that thread in that other forum too).

Flack
    Participant

I never bothered trying any native Android games on it because they were designed with a touch screen in mind.

I guess this would be my review: “The mapping software is easy to use and worked with every emulator I tried. The system emulates all the usual 16-bit and under suspects essentially perfectly. For systems like PlayStation and Dreamcast, it’s hit or miss and it just depends on the game. Every time I put it in my laptop bag I’m afraid the joysticks are going to break off or the screen is going to get scratched. I don’t understand Android devices very well so I find the logic behind where to put ROMs and files confusing. If I had a complaint it would be that the system is almost too big.”

So a little bird – not gonna name any names but he might be a flightless waterfowl – tells me that someone in this very forum has one of these. Kind of curious as to what that entirely hypothetical person’s equally hypothetical reaction is.

I am especially curious about the SD card slot and whether or not that expands the, erm, software library available.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Yes, I bought a bunch of Atari stuff at the nearby Bed Bath & Beyond, which is the only chain that is selling them, I believe. This is what I got:

Yep, two portables. Well, because (always need a backer, right?)

First impressions? The portable looks a lot like the Sega Genesis portable I bought a year or two ago. Judge for yourself:

One last pic before I go. Here’s the start up menu for the games:

Pretty intuitive and I was able to figure out how to run the games right away. No instructions but I figured out quickly which buttons are used to set the difficulty levels.If you know how to play the game already, playing it is easy on this console. If not then you need to look up the instruction manual for the game in question.

I haven’t done anything with the SD card yet so I’ll let you know once I do that. Most of the games I played on the 2600 were Activision games so I am motivated to format an SD card and load it up with .bin files.

EDIT: I don’t know if it is Photobucket or the forum software but the right side of the photos are cropped off. To see the whole picture, right click and “View Image”.

It’s like someone “upsized” the Genesis portable in a CAD program. Interesting.

Flack
    Participant

I forgot who it was on Facebook, but someone said they tried loading ROMs and I think their experience was 90% of them worked perfectly and 10% simply didn’t work (mostly weird homebrews, if I remember correctly). I’ll let you know more Christmas morning, as I’m pretty sure one of these is waiting for me under the tree.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

It’s like someone “upsized” the Genesis portable in a CAD program. Interesting.

Actually, no, they are both the same size. They look different size because the Genesis is further away from the camera than the Atari. You can see that if you look at the other pictures of them seen edge on. The Atari is about 1/4″ longer than the Genesis but they are both the same height and thickness.

One notable difference between the two is the Genesis’ rechargeable battery is removable. Thus, if you had more than one battery, you could swap them out to continue play. Much like you would swap out rechargable batteries on your digital camera.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed