Atari co-founder Ted Dabney dies aged 80

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Arcade Gaming Atari co-founder Ted Dabney dies aged 80

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Eurogamer:

Atari co-founder Ted Dabney dies aged 80

Atari co-founder Ted Dabney has died aged 80, according to a close friend.

Historian Leonard Herman, who told Dabney’s story in an article for Edge magazine published in 2009, announced Dabney’s death in a post on Facebook:

“I just learned that my good friend, Ted Dabney, the co-founder of Atari, passed away at the age of 80. RIP good friend. Your legacy will live on a long time!”

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Ted is one of those Atari folks I’ve never met personally. I’ve met Bushnell, Al Alcorn, and quite a few others, but Ted’s role in the early days of Atari were often (quite deliberately) eclipsed by Bushnell’s Roddenberry-esque tendency to try to claim sole credit for the whole thing*, and he didn’t do the convention circuit as such.

A pity. Thanks in large part to Leonard Herman’s reporting, Ted’s vital role in Atari’s origin story has gone public, and I think a lot of people, like myself, would’ve gladly thanked him in person for that role.

* remember, this is also the Nolan Bushnell who said that Magnavox Odyssey, a first-of-its-entire-order-of-technology breakthrough which sold nearly a quarter million units in 1972, was a “failure”…by unfairly comparing that quarter-million to console ownership/adoption statistics from years later when the technology was known. I appreciate and admire many things about Nolan, but his very loose grasp of the truth of what actually happened back then isn’t one of them.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.