Atari co-founder Ted Dabney dies aged 80

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Arcade Gaming Atari co-founder Ted Dabney dies aged 80

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZLothZLoth

From Eurogamer:

Atari co-founder Ted Dabney dies aged 80

Atari co-founder Ted Dabney has died aged 80, according to a close friend.

Historian Leonard Herman, who told Dabney’s story in an article for Edge magazine published in 2009, announced Dabney’s death in a post on Facebook:

“I just learned that my good friend, Ted Dabney, the co-founder of Atari, passed away at the age of 80. RIP good friend. Your legacy will live on a long time!”

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Ted is one of those Atari folks I’ve never met personally. I’ve met Bushnell, Al Alcorn, and quite a few others, but Ted’s role in the early days of Atari were often (quite deliberately) eclipsed by Bushnell’s Roddenberry-esque tendency to try to claim sole credit for the whole thing*, and he didn’t do the convention circuit as such.

A pity. Thanks in large part to Leonard Herman’s reporting, Ted’s vital role in Atari’s origin story has gone public, and I think a lot of people, like myself, would’ve gladly thanked him in person for that role.

* remember, this is also the Nolan Bushnell who said that Magnavox Odyssey, a first-of-its-entire-order-of-technology breakthrough which sold nearly a quarter million units in 1972, was a “failure”…by unfairly comparing that quarter-million to console ownership/adoption statistics from years later when the technology was known. I appreciate and admire many things about Nolan, but his very loose grasp of the truth of what actually happened back then isn’t one of them.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.