Astronauts

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Every so often, I’ll just throw a dart at the media server and watch whatever it lands on. Well, not really, but you get the idea (it’s how I wound up watching Dune last weekend). I had acquired the full run of this show (a total of 13 episodes over two seasons) some time back knowing only that it was an old ITV sitcom on a space station.

For the most part, I’m still waiting for the “comedy” that arises from the “situation”: three British astronauts on Skylab. Two men, one women…well, and there’s a cute dog too. With that setup, naturally, we’re barely three episodes in before “who gets into her pants first” becomes a running thing. (It doesn’t hurt that the female cast member looks just a little bit like Elisabeth Sladen circa 1981.)

It’s not quite on the same “trying desperately to be funny but isn’t” level as Come Back Mrs. Noah, but it’s…less than funny. Certainly not going to challenge Red Dwarf, or for that matter, Hyperdrive.

Meh.

And suddenly it’s a very different show in season 2. Political. A bit darker. A bit bold in places. Less concerned with nonstop gags.

Interesting.

Ah well. Ended really, really silly, but there was a definite uptick in the quality of writing in season 2.

It’s a damned obscure little show, definitely an acquired taste. And here’s it’s complete guide.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed