Apollo 11 Tapes Bought by NASA Intern for $218 Could Fetch Millions at Auction

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Sci Minus Fi Human Spaceflight Apollo 11 Tapes Bought by NASA Intern for $218 Could Fetch Millions at Auction

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by ZLoth 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Geek.com:

Apollo 11 Tapes Bought by NASA Intern for $218 Could Fetch Millions at Auction

Video recordings of the Apollo 11 moon landing purchased by a NASA intern for $217.77 from a government surplus auction 43 years ago are expected to fetch up to $2 million when they go up for auction next month.

The three reels of 2-inch Quadruplex videotape contain the “earliest, sharpest, and most accurate surviving video images” of man’s first steps on the moon, according to Sotheby’s, which is holding a special auction dedicated to space exploration on July 20, the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

The funny part is that I have a 2″ AMPEX tape (blank, never used) that I’ve kept since it was given to me as a gift from a broadcast engineer in 1989.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.