Apollo 11 Tapes Bought by NASA Intern for $218 Could Fetch Millions at Auction

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Sci Minus Fi Human Spaceflight Apollo 11 Tapes Bought by NASA Intern for $218 Could Fetch Millions at Auction

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 year ago by ZLoth.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ZLothZLoth

From Geek.com:

Apollo 11 Tapes Bought by NASA Intern for $218 Could Fetch Millions at Auction

Video recordings of the Apollo 11 moon landing purchased by a NASA intern for $217.77 from a government surplus auction 43 years ago are expected to fetch up to $2 million when they go up for auction next month.

The three reels of 2-inch Quadruplex videotape contain the “earliest, sharpest, and most accurate surviving video images” of man’s first steps on the moon, according to Sotheby’s, which is holding a special auction dedicated to space exploration on July 20, the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

The funny part is that I have a 2″ AMPEX tape (blank, never used) that I’ve kept since it was given to me as a gift from a broadcast engineer in 1989.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.