An Adventure In Space And Time

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Spinoff Series An Adventure In Space And Time

This topic contains 26 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

And a new shot released today on Twitter, David Bradley as William Hartnell. Kinda eerie.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I don’t recall Hartnell looking that old and wrinkled. After all, he was in his 50s when he was hired, and made up to look older.

November 21st in the UK, and November 22nd at 8pm central on BBC America.

Sorry for the pic dump; these have been accumulating for a while and I’ve been kinda busy and forgetting to post them.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Soooo….. officially, do we count him as being a first doctor or not? This would make him either number three or number four.

You know, they’ve got the TARDIS, they’ve got some lookalike actors… let’s just film new versions of all the lost episodes.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@earl wrote:

You know, they’ve got the TARDIS, they’ve got some lookalike actors… let’s just film new versions of all the lost episodes.

That’s what I’ve been saying. Maybe if more of the public let the BBC know that they’d like to see those lost episodes recreated, then it might get done. They could film the “new” episodes with 4K cameras to future proof them against advancing television technology, then just convert them to black-and-white if they want to. Then, whatever digital format 4K movies and TV shows will come in (if they even bother with physical media at that point) can have alternate video tracks with both the color and B&W versions.

By the way, the actress playing Barbara is so on-the-nose, for a second I thought it was really Jacqueline Hill, somehow brought back in time to reprise her role. They cast that one well.

Beautiful. Just beautiful. The story of the show may just outstrip whatever story is being told by the show in 24 hours’ time.

Condensed severely? Yes. You’re cramming three years of history into less time than an old four-part serial would take to watch back-to-back. If you want the real story, I recommend the Production Diary chapter of The First Doctor Handbook by Howe, Stammers & Walker; quite a few things were vastly simplified, with decisions and quotes attributed to Verity Lambert or Sydney Newman that actually originated with other people involved with the show.

Does it tell the story accurately? Mostly. I’m going to say it’s at 85% on accuracy. What accuracy is sacrificed is sacrified in the name of the emotional core of William Hartnell’s journey into his own twilight. Are there bits that are so obviously “meta” that you know that’s not what was really said in the moment? Sure there are. But we’re also running out of living people who were there. Of the four main characters in the movie – Hartnell, Verity Lambert, Sydney Newman and Waris Hussein – only Hussein is still with us, at the age of 74. There are numerous memos to tell us what was really said in many cases. The movie is not so much the story of Doctor Who itself as it is of William Hartnell.

It’s beautiful and heartbreaking stuff.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Since I am thinking more about this show than the “Day of the Doctor”, then, yes, it is better.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.

First, however, I would like to discuss my expectations of the film vs. what came out.

When the first promos for the show came out and we saw glimpses of the recreation of the console for the TARDIS, I was expecting a show that would focus on the creation and development of the pilot and perhaps the Dalek series of episodes. Instead they covered the span of William Hartnell’s tenure at Doctor Who. What that meant was they glossed over many of the details I would of loved to see but only got a glimpse of. Then again, I don’t think my version would be as good. The best I could hope was for it to end shortly after the public reaction to The Daleks became known to the actors, production crew and management.

Before the show was half over, however, it became obvious that this show was about more than just the genesis of Dr. Who: it was also about the twilight years of William Hartnell. Up until now we always heard stories about how Hartnell was difficult on the set and now, finally, we get to see an example of his misbehavior. Nice. We also got a glimpse of the relationship between Hartnell and Carole Ann Ford although I would have liked to see more of that. A lot of poignant scenes in regards to the story of William Hartnell’s decline in health and exit from Dr. Who.

There are a bunch of OMG scenes that got a strong reaction from me. Tony Robinson suddenly showing up was fantastic and made me laugh. The moth people in the background was nice and made me smile. Seeing the Daleks in action was cool but seeing them in the same shots as “Dalek Invasion of Earth” was a delight.

BIG SPOILER AHEAD!

The biggest delight was also the most poignant scene in the whole show: Matt Smith appearing. I literally gasped when I saw that. I also had a very mixed reaction: a mix of “What the hell is he doing there?” and “Wow! this is indeed Hartnell’s last moments in Doctor Who”. I’m still trying to figure out what the scene really meant. I guess you could say it was a ghost from the future telling Hartnell that he done good and thank you for making such an important contribution. Lots of layers in that brief moment.

I can’t wait for the DVD and I really really hope they add all sorts of commentary tracks along with “making of” videos, interviews and diaries.

Yes, I liked this show.

It’s not for nothing that I compared that to the final scene of Being There (my all-time favorite movie), in which Peter Sellers (whose character has shown no propensity for any extraordinary ability throughout the story other than natural charm and saying things that are obvious and literal to him, but vague enough to read as deep, meaningful and allegorical to others) suddenly walks away from a funeral, right in the middle of the eulogy, and walks on the water. Surely that’s a visual metaphor and not really happening, right? Or… is it? What the hell’s going on?

The Smith scene is like that. Hartnell was known – and quoted in the press – for saying that he felt Doctor Who could go on “for years and years,” though it’s hard to imagine that he was envisioning it as running longer than almost any other drama series, let alone science fiction series, so he obviously had a touch of the visionary about him. But was this an expression of that, or is it Hartnell’s mind continuing to crumble to the point that he imagines the character of the Doctor himself is there in some form, urging him onward?

Either way, it’s lump-in-the-throat time.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

Lip-sync to the existing soundtrack or have them read the lines themselves? The first would make it more true to the original but might make the actors seem stiff an unnatural. The second has the potential of ruining the initial vision and intent of the original.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@Steve W wrote:

I don’t recall Hartnell looking that old and wrinkled. After all, he was in his 50s when he was hired, and made up to look older.

Hartnell was 55 when he started Doctor Who in 1963 and yet he looks at least ten years older. A seventy-one year old actor portraying an actor in his mid-fifties? Hmmm. In a way it shows you how much Hartnell abused his body with smokes and booze over the years and the affect it had on him. I watched an interview of Hartnell in 1967 (when he was 59) and the Dr. Who makeup didn’t make him look that much older. In that in interview he looked like he was in his late 60’s or maybe early seventies.

EDIT: In fact, here’s a picture from that interview:

That interview was actually in late ’66, in the Christmas panto season that immediately followed his exit as the Doctor. That’s the one I was talking about that’s on the Tenth Planet DVD – they found it just in time for David Bradley to study it before starting work on An Adventure.

I’d almost like for them to make one movie per year, covering one Doctor per movie, in the same vein, but the more recent you get, the more living relatives you run the risk of offending (to say nothing of still-living Doctors). And even if they only did one about Troughton, the details of his private life have been revealed in recent years to be rather sordid. His children are still around (then again, so is Hartnell’s granddaughter), though most of these sordid details that have emerged are from Michael Troughton’s own biography of his father (with a few additional sordid details from Frazer Hines’ autobiography). It depends on whether or not Mark Gatiss would keep writing them, and whether or not he’d want to get into stuff like that. I mean, what would he do about the Davison era and the allegations of John Nathan-Turner using his position as showrunner to entice young (and male) fans into providing sexual favors?

Then again, An Adventure is not exactly a warts-and-all portrayal of Hartnell. He was known for being just a wee bit racist, and refused to share screen time with one guest star on the grounds that the actor in question was both Jewish and gay. (This stuff is covered in one of the documentaries also on the Tenth Planet DVD yet, but has been circulating fairly accurately since the 1980s.) So… I guess the message is, you don’t have to go there, whether it’s Hartnell’s raft of prejudices or Troughton’s bigamy or the (still only reported from one source with a grudge) JN-T accusations.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed