An Adventure In Space And Time

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Spinoff Series An Adventure In Space And Time

This topic contains 26 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

BBC2 has commissioned a one-off 90-minute “docudrama,” An Adventure In Space And Time, from Mark Gatiss. It’ll air in 2013, and covers the genesis of Doctor Who. Doctor Who producers Caroline Skinner and Steven Moffat are executive producing.

As soon as there’s any news of casting, a director, etc., I’ll add that info to this thread.

Filming will be taking place at Wimbledon Studios before too long. Still no casting news. [LINK]

Watch out for Daleks and Cybermen storming Centre Court – cult classic Doctor Who is coming to Wimbledon.

The BBC has commissioned a one-off show to celebrate the 50th annersary of the famous series, to be filmed at the Wimbledon Studios.

An Adventure in Space and Time, a 90-minute drama currently in the early stages of production at the Deer Park Road studios, will tell the story of Doctor Who since it was first broadcast on November 23, 1963.

Nothing there that we didn’t already know… aside from which studio facility they’ll be using.

Mark Gatiss appeared at a British Film Institute screening of An Unearthly Child today, according to a Twitter post…

Mark Gatiss confirmed at the BFI today that he is finishing the script for An Adventure In Space & Time tonight! Starts filming next month

So there ya go.

We have a cast! [LINK]

BBC AMERICA is set to premiere An Adventure in Space and Time, a film drama about the creation of Doctor Who, as part of the channel’s celebration of the long-running sci-fi series’ 50th anniversary. Frequent Who scriptwriter Mark Gatiss has already been announced as writer, and he’s also serving as executive producer alongside current Doctor Who execs Steven Moffat and Caroline Skinner. The film is a co-production between BBC AMERICA and BBC Cymru Wales and will air later in 2013.

Doctor Who first hit the BBC airwaves on November 23, 1963, and an impressive cast has been assembled to play the personalities behind the show’s earliest days. David Bradley, best known as Argus Filch in the Harry Potter movies, has taken on the role as actor William Hartnell, who played the series’ very first Doctor. Call the Midwife star Jessica Raine, already cast in the Season 7, Part 2 premiere of Doctor Who, is set to play producer Verity Lambert, and the great Brian Cox (The Bourne Supremacy, Adaptation.) is on board as Sydney Newman, BBC’s then-Head of Drama.

BBC AMERICA has announced casting for ‘An Adventure of Space and Time,’ a film dramatization of the creation of ‘Doctor Who,’ which premiered November 23, 1963. David Bradley will play actor William Hartnell, Jessica Raine will play producer Verity Lambert, and Brian Cox has been cast as BBC Head of Drama Sydney Newman. (Photos: AP)

Meanwhile, The History Boys‘ Sacha Dhawan will play Waris Hussein, director of Doctor Who‘s premiere episode, “An Unearthly Child.”

Bradley says he’s “absolutely thrilled” about playing William Hartnell, and adds, “I first heard about this role from Mark [Gatiss] while watching the Diamond Jubilee flotilla from the roof of the National Theatre. When he asked if I would be interested, I almost bit his hand off! Mark has written such a wonderful script not only about the birth of a cultural phenomenon, but a moment in television’s history. William Hartnell was one of the finest character actors of our time and as a fan I want to make sure that I do him justice. I’m so looking forward to getting started.”

Filming begins in London next month at BBC’s Television Centre before transferring to Wimbledon Studios. Matt Strevens (Misfits, Skins) is producing, with Terry McDonough (Breaking Bad, The Street) directing.

1964:

2013:

Sleek, stylish, chrono-aero-dynamic. Take the 1963 Type 40 TARDIS for a test drive at your local dealer.

I’m starting to think that there’s no coincidence whatsoever to this docudrama being filmed – and its sets being built – prior to the start of filming on the 50th anniversary special. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing quite a bit of this grand Hartnell-era TARDIS set, in more than one production.

It kinda raises goosebumps, ya know?

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Damn, looks like the real thing. The set looks a lot cleaner than I figured. Perhaps that is because I would see the set through a grainy TV camera which made it look like the set was dusty and dirty. Unless, of course, hey are making it look cleaner than it actually was.

In all likelihood, even if these sets are rough-hewn by the standards of modern Doctor Who, they’re almost certainly better than the originals in terms of quality of material and construction. Which further feeds into my strong suspicion that, by charging the construction of this set against a separate production (a TV movie about the show’s inception), Moffat (who is an executive producer on Gatiss’ movie) has cleverly amortized the cost of rebuilding the original TARDIS set for use on Doctor Who itself.

At the very least, you can bet your sweet bippy (or, if you prefer Chinese takeout, sweet & sour bippy) that this whole thing will be hauled over to become a permanent exhibit at the Doctor Who Exhibition on Cardiff Bay once they’re done using it. (The same goes for the eerily reproduced “old Daleks”.)

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I didn’t know the original console was a chalky aquamarine color.

Isn’t there already a TARDIS control room in a museum? I thought it was Davison’s version, since he was posing in front of the console in the picture I saw (that you most likely posted, Earl). Were the walls for that exhibit originals or did those get trashed at the end of production and the museum’s version just cheaply knocked out replicas to compliment the console?

The restored Five Doctors-through-the-end-of-the-series console is on display at the DW Exhibition in Cardiff, in a kind of half-console-room of walls made specifically for the exhibit:

The reason for the funky bright industrial green paint job – which was real and persisted through the final uses of the original Hartnell console in the early Pertwee era (see Inferno) – was that it would read as gleaming whiter-than-white to B&W tube cameras of that era.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

The reason for the funky bright industrial green paint job – which was real and persisted through the final uses of the original Hartnell console in the early Pertwee era (see Inferno) – was that it would read as gleaming whiter-than-white to B&W tube cameras of that era.

Which implies that the BBC (or just the Doctor Who show) spent some time pointing the TV camera at various paint swatches to see what the effect would be.

Not sure which; the associate producer in the first season was Mervyn Pinfield, who was renowned for his mad teevee engineering skills and his ability to dream up new ways to do special effects (if, in those days, you could call them that).

Sweet. And yes, it is Cardiff-bound to become part of the exhibition there.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the UK’s B&W standard a lower resolution that the US’s NTSC standard. This is not to be confused with PAL, which was 625 lines/25 frames per second.

It was a lower resolution prior to the PAL standardization; I believe it was 405 lines. This was critical to the BBC’s decision to start junking episodes of everything including Doctor Who as early as the late 1960s: there was no home video market, period, let alone any reasonable expectation that shows recorded and kept on 405 line tape would be of any use once the 405 line format was phased out to the 625 line format (which happened in anticipation of an eventual phase-in of color also using 625 lines).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed