America hasn’t seen a solar eclipse like this since WW1

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci Minus Fi America hasn’t seen a solar eclipse like this since WW1

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

k8track
    Participant

I drove down to Swiss, MO with a friend and a friend of his. It was very near the center line of totality. It was amazing. We were extremely fortunate to have pretty much clear skies. It was incredible. In the last minute or so right before totality, it got dimmer and dimmer and more surreal and alien-like. Then totality hit and it was amazing. You could stare right at the sun with the corona around it and I can’t describe it. Someone wrote that it was like toward the end of dusk with a faint sunset all around the horizon. My friend’s friend brought three pairs of binoculars and I could see these amazing pink sparks around the edge of the corona. It was breathtaking and indescribable. Many people became really emotional. Bats flew out. The totality lasted 2:39, very close to the maximum possible this time around. It was worth the 23-year wait.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  k8track.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  k8track.
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I managed to wake up early enough to attempt to see the eclipse, but since I didn’t think about getting the glasses I had to make do with a piece of cardboard with a pinhole in it, which I made the wrong size so it didn’t work that well.

Looking at the 2024 eclipse map, I’m in the totality zone already but close to the edge, I guess I’ll drive out somewhere between Ennis, TX and Italy, TX. Looks like Fort Smith is on the edge of totality too, looks like Earl and I will have the best views out of all of us.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

The path of totality is all but trucking right over my house in 2024.

Forum staff meeting at my place?

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

And if 2024 gets rained out, there’s always August 12, 2045.

2045 Eclipse

I’ll be 73 if I’m still around.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Let me think about this after I get back from Alaska.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Sacramento Bee:

A 10-year-old went to Oregon to see the eclipse. His school declared him a truant.

A family trip to see the total solar eclipse in Oregon this year resulted in a letter from Breen Elementary School declaring a Rocklin 10-year-old a truant after he missed three days early in the school year.

The letter warned Richard and Lilia Wilson that they must ensure their son attends school after he accrued the unexcused absences. A list of potential ramifications included the school seeking prosecution of both parents and their son if they don’t comply, which is allowed under the state’s education code.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed