Alien Worlds (late ’70s radio series)

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi In Your Ears Alien Worlds (late ’70s radio series)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I have finally taken the plunge into the 1979 radio drama series Alien Worlds, which ran for two seasons in syndication (marketed by the same outfit that had been syndicating America’s Top 40 since Casey Kasem started it). I remember hearing something like one or two of these when I was a kid, and of course I dug it, but the station it was on shut down shortly after that, so obviously Alien Worlds wasn’t dragging in the sponsors. 😆 There are 20-30ish half-hour episodes in total, and they are some real live old-school space opera with some of the “peacetime scientific research” angle of Star Trek…yet when they start talking about “rocket jockeys” you’d swear it was from the 1950s.

I didn’t know this until after I’d started listening and doing some research, but one of the last episodes recorded was written by an up-and-coming 25-year-old going by the name of J. Michael Straczynski. Small (alien) world, eh?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Did Leonard Nimoy work for them? I remember getting some kind of cassette subtitled “Alien Worlds” with Nimoy and John De Lancie in the cast. I would imagine that it was a much later production, but I thought I’d ask.

Nope, the Nimoy/de Lancie live audio theater productions were “Alien Voices”.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I don’t think I really listened to Alien Voices to any extent. I used to play audio books on tape while I slept, and it turns out the first night I listened to that Alien Voices story my Pioneer tape player chewed the tape up. It did that with nearly all audio book cassettes I had back then, eventually.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.