After 23 years, the Apple II gets another OS update

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Computer Gaming After 23 years, the Apple II gets another OS update

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From ArsTechnica:

After 23 years, the Apple II gets another OS update
    On 30th anniversary of Apple II GS, devoted developer releases ProDOS 2.4.

Yesterday, software developer John Brooks released what is clearly a work of pure love: the first update to an operating system for the Apple II computer family since 1993. ProDOS 2.4, released on the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the Apple II GS, brings the enhanced operating system to even older Apple II systems, including the original Apple ][ and ][+.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Whaaaaaa? Back when ProDOS was rolled out at the successor to Applesoft DOS 3.3, it was solely for the 128K Apples – IIc, IIe enhanced, and later the IIgs. My 64K Franklin ACE 1000? Nope. It’d never complete booting up. My 128K ACE 2200? It would work there, because the ACE 2200 was basically a clone of the enhanced IIe. The earliest LogBook guides were written in the text editor that was part of a modem terminal program (remember those?) that booted in ProDOS.

So returning to the Apple II and II+ …somehow they have to have minimized ProDOS to the point that it can be expected to work on a machine with no more than 16K of resident memory.

Just trying to get my head around that last bit.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed