A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire (Book 3)

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Books A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire (Book 3)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

This is the unabridged version.

@Publisher’s Summary wrote:

Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King’s Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world….

But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others, a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords….

©2000 George R.R. Martin, (P)2004 Books On Tape, Inc., published in arrangement with Random House Audio Group, a division of Random House, Inc.

Needless to say, as of this morning, I’ve embarked on the third book. This is the final of the original trilogy that were narrated by Roy Dotrice and released between December, 2003 and March, 2004. More on this later.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

ZLoth
    ZLoth

One simply does not read a Song of Ice and Fire book. One must be dedicated to spending a chunk of time in these books.

I’m about 19 and a half hours into the book at chapter 33. Note that I am not even at the halfway point in the book.

The biggest issue is how Audible assembled this book. You would think that they would put the chapter steps at like, actual chapters. Instead, Audible divided these books into 45 minute chunks. So, I’m having to create a reference guide to find where everything is located.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Thirty hours, and I have hit the pivotal event of the third season of Game of Thrones.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

You mean the part where My Little Ponies fly in and distribute ice cream to all the characters? Or is it the part where Martian Cylinders crash into the landscape and Martians in tripods start killing everyone with their gas cylinders and heat rays?

/me knows nothing about “Game of Thrones”

Actually, my legitimate guess is you reached the red wedding scene that everyone in the TV universe is all upset about.

ubik, like the joke goes: George R.R. Martin, Joss Whedon and Steven Moffat walk into a bar. Everyone you ever loved instantly dies. 😯

(From actual footage of Game Of Thrones TV focus group session)

ZLoth
    ZLoth

@ubikuberalles wrote:

Actually, my legitimate guess is you reached the red wedding scene that everyone in the TV universe is all upset about.

Oh yes. 😈

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Oh, George, what a wicked twisted tale you weave. To talk about the actual events in the books, even though they have now been televised, would be sacrilege. So I won’t.

To borrow a line from Lord of the Rings, one simply does not just read A Song of Ice and Fire. One becomes engrossed in the novels and dedicates a chunk of their lives to these books. Be aware: good people who you like will die. Did I mention that my favorite characters are Jon Snow, Arya Stark, and Tyrion Lannister? There will be twists and turns. No wonder HBO has a hit on their hand. It’s literally Harry Potter for adults.

Which brings us to a major issue. The original three books were released in 1996, 1998, and 2000. Roy Dotrice narrated the books, and these audiobooks were released between December, 2003 and March, 2004. And, needless to say, Roy Dotrice is an excellent narrator for these three books, having developed a unique voice for all of the characters. But, that’s when things go wrong. The fourth book was released in 2005, and a different producer and narrator was used for the audiobook. Roy Dotrice returned to narrate the fifth book (which was released in 2011) and then they went back to re-do the fourth book with Dotrice, but they did not review the first three books, so the voices used are completely different. Of course, by now, you have vested over 100 hours in these books.

So, how does this relate to the TV series? I couldn’t tell you. While I did pick up the BluRays of the first three seasons, I have yet to watch them. Maybe you should watch the TV series first, then read/listen to the books for the missing details. As for me, I must leave the George R. R. Martin universe, and go visit other books now.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.