A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire (book 1)

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Books A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire (book 1)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

This is from the unabidged audio.

@Publisher Summary wrote:

In a time long forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons off balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. As the cold returns, sinister forces are massing beyond the protective wall of the kingdom of Winterfell. To the south, the king’s powers are failing, with his most trusted advisor mysteriously dead and enemies emerging from the throne’s shadow. At the center of the conflict, the Starks of Winterfell hold the key: a reluctant Lord Eddard is summoned to serve as the king’s new Hand, an appointment that threatens to sunder both family and kingdom. In this land of extremes, plots and counterplots, soldiers and sorcerers, each side fights to win the deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.

©1996 George R.R. Martin, (P)2003 Books On Tape, Inc., published in arrangement with Random House Audio Group,a division of Random House, Inc.

OK, is there a science fiction or fantasy fan who has not heard about the HBO series Game Of Thones? OK, to get ourselves in the proper mood, watch the YouTube of the opening sequence.

OK, now that you’ve seen the title sequence, you will know that that was all I knew about the series, along with some special effects spots. That, and some good work of mouth where people people said that it was A. A very good series, and B. Not family fare. So, I thought, with an Audible credit, I would give it a try.

33 hours later…. and I think I need a Cliff’s Notes for a chess set of a story. Woah. Roy Dotrice was up to the task of narrating each character. Still, this is a complex story, and I don’t think I have all the details straight. I think I’ll use the HBO series as a refresher, then listen to this again.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I don’t have HBO and will never have it considering how much it costs versus the amount of entertainment I would ever get from it. So I’ve never seen the series. People rave about it, but I’ve never been compelled to hunt down the DVDs. The same with shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men (although I have had the Mad Men first season box set for over a year and I still haven’t gotten around to watching it). In the end, I might get the DVDs cheap online after the story’s over for a few years so I can watch them in one go. All I know is that it’s a good story and there’s an overabundance of rape scenes in it. Honestly, I’d rather watch Peter Dinklage in the Knights of Badassdom. Whenever they finally get the damn thing out of limbo, that is.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I’m not a subscriber to HBO either. I’m more likely to see a movie in it’s original aspect ratio on TCM than I would on any of the premium channels. Also, since most of the movies that get shown I already OWN, the value becomes even more reduced.

I’m more preferential to seeing the series on disc rather than a pay channel, even if that means I have to wait. This kinda proves the point with the television shows nowadays. The more talked about series such as The Sopranos, The Walking Dead, Mythbusters, and Game of Thones are all non-mainstream network series (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). We are also more likely to see the complete season rather than have a show cancelled after two weeks.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Don’t look at me – last time I was an HBO subscriber, it was for From The Earth To The Moon. 😯

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

Don’t look at me – last time I was an HBO subscriber, it was for From The Earth To The Moon. 😯

I just waited until Blockbuster rented out the VHS tapes many many years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.