2016 Hugo Awards

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Straight from the official Twitter feed…

• Best Fanzine Winner: File 770 edited by Mike Glyer
    • Best Fancast: No Award
    • Best Fan Writer: Mike Glyer
    • Best Fan Artist Winner: Steve Stiles
    • Forest J Ackerman Award: Joe Siclari & Evie Stern
    • Best Semiprozine: Uncanny Magazine, edited by Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas, Michi Trota, and Erika Ensign & Steven Schapansky
    • Best Related Work: No Award.
    • Best Professional Artist: Abigail Larson
    • Best Graphic Story: The Sandman Overture written by Neil Gaiman, art by J.H. Williams III (Vertigo)
    • Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form: The Martian screenplay by Drew Goddard, directed by Ridley Scott (Scott Free Productions; Kinberg Genre; TSG Entertainment; 20th Century Fox)
    • Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: Jessica Jones: “AKA Smile” written by Scott Reynolds, Melissa Rosenberg, and Jamie King, directed by Michael Rymer (Marvel Television; ABC Studios; Tall Girls Productions;Netflix) – beat out Doctor Who: Heaven Sent, as well as episodes of Grimm, Supernatural, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
    • Best Editor, Short Form: Ellen Datlow
    • Best Editor, Long Form: Sheila E. Gilbert
    • Best Short Story: “Cat Pictures Please” by Naomi Kritzer (Clarkesworld, January 2015)
    • Best Novelette: “Folding Beijing” by Hao Jingfang, trans. Ken Liu (Uncanny Magazine, Jan-Feb 2015 – go read it)
    • Best Novella: Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (Tor.com)
    • Best Novel: The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)

Again, a lot of No Awarding because of an attempted repeat of last year’s Sad Puppies/Rabid Puppies BS. Talented bastard, that Noah Ward. (Neil Gaiman, in his acceptance speech for his win: “I would have withdrawn it from consideration but even that seemed like giving these sad losers more attention than they deserve”)

The overall number of people casting ballots was down by nearly half. I’d say the Hugos have maybe 3-5 years of relevance left, and then extinction.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

@earl wrote:

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: Jessica Jones: “AKA Smile” written by Scott Reynolds, Melissa Rosenberg, and Jamie King, directed by Michael Rymer (Marvel Television; ABC Studios; Tall Girls Productions;Netflix) – beat out Doctor Who: Heaven Sent, as well as episodes of Grimm, Supernatural, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

My… Little…. Pony? 🙄 What am I missing here?

@earl wrote:

The overall number of people casting ballots was down by nearly half. I’d say the Hugos have maybe 3-5 years of relevance left, and then extinction.

To me, it sounds like “activists” with a particular “agenda” are “aggravating” everyone and causing “anarchy”.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

Nah, I disagree. In fact, I couldn’t disagree more, respectfully. Unless you are talking only about movies and TV, in which case, I would argue the Hugos were never relevant.

In the world of SF novels and short stories, the Hugos are very relevant. SF authors aspire to winning a Hugo and they monitor the events leading up to the Hugos carefully. If a book wins a Hugo it is mentioned prominently on the new book covers or back-piece when a newer printing is issued. Sci-Fi fans love Hugos too as they are mentioned in fanzines all the time.

In the movie and TV world, no one cares (or ever cared) about the Hugos except maybe the screenwriter or the author whose book the movie is based on. Directors, producers and actors don’t care at all. For them it is all about the Oscars or the Emmies. If the movie wins a Hugo, sure, they’ll advertise it but there won’t be much more mention to it than that. Remember these movies and TV shows are aimed at the general public – who pay the biggest chunk of the box office monies – and the general public doesn’t even know what the Hugos are. If they see that a movie won a Hugo, they’d just shrug and move on.

I would also argue that the drop in ballots cast is not because of flagging interest in the Hugos but that it is just a side effect of one of the anti-puppy tactics of last year. I remember there was a call for more people to sign up to vote for the Hugos to counter the Puppy threat. Also, there was a call for existing members to vote last year as well to deal with the puppies. I didn’t hear any calls for voters this year. My guess is either the recruiting tactic had no effect or that the puppy drama was considered a minor threat this year. I’m thinking it is the later.

According to John Scalzi in his blog entry, the Rabid puppies were effectively squashed and the sad puppies were largely a non-factor. As far as Scalzi and others are concerned, the puppy saga is effectively over and Scalzi has predicted that, five years from now, “…few people will remember, and even fewer will care, about the nonsense Beale and his pals kicked up…”.

Now John Beale would say differently and that he was victorious but, beware, he is using trickery and misdirection in his words. How? Because he put ringers in his slates: authors who would have won anyway were included in his slates. However, the people he really wanted to win didn’t win.

Scalzi also mentioned that the sad puppies are shifting their attention to the Dragon Awards managed by DragonCon. With that in mind we may not hear about the sad puppies in next year’s Hugos.

So, no, I don’t think the Hugos will lose relevance five years from now. Just a minor bump in the road. Move along, move along.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Hmmmm…..

I’ve stopped caring about the Oscars and Emmys a long time ago. Oh sure, I was psyched when Lord Of The Rings swept the Oscars and Spirited Away won best animated Oscar, but beyond that? Meh. It seems that the winners voting is based upon the collected previous work as well as the nominated role. And sometimes, that previous work was better than the nominated role. Does anyone recall what film won best picture this year at the Oscars without consulting a list? I can’t.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed