1979 Revolution: Black Friday (2016)

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Computer Gaming 1979 Revolution: Black Friday (2016)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

1979 Revolution: Black Friday

OK, Steam, tell me about this “game”:

Based on real events and eyewitness testimonies.

In this authentic, historically accurate, stunningly engaging experience — you must decide who to trust and what you stand for — as the world is set ablaze around you.

I was very young when the events of 1979 Revolution: Black Friday took place. And, true, we had a taste of this from the 2012 movie Argo. However, unless you go out of the way to find out the details, you probably know little as to what happened beyond the America hostage crisis.

First off, this game doesn’t touch that hostage crisis. Instead, the game opens with the ominous words, “During the Summer of 1978, thousands of Iranians flooded the streets and fought for change despite their class, religious beliefs, and political allegiance. The protests erupted into a bloody uprising against Iran’s self appointed King – the Shah. What you are about to experience is based upon real stories, real events, and real people.” The game starts with you as the protagonist and aspiring photojournalist Reza Shirazi in 1980 who is ambushed at his hideout and taken to the dreaded Evin prison and interrogated. The game then goes back two years to September, 1978 and the events leading up to this.

Anyone who is has played a Telltale game such as [i]Tales Of The Borderlands[/i] or similar game Life Is Strange will recognize the structure. You get to shape your story based upon the responses you make, and there are two action sequences which rely on just good timing along the lines of Dragon’s Lair. Being that this is an independent production rather than a AAA title, it shows in the graphics quality. This isn’t the game to show off the capabilities of your newest graphics card. Use Doom instead. Because of limitations of the Unity engine, you see repeats of the same NPCs, and I even caught one walking through a phone booth. (Whoops). In one scene, I saw the protagonist open up a cabinet, and his right hand was some distance away. (It must be those psychic Iranian powers!)

But, this isn’t a graphics game. This is a story game based upon what actually happened almost forty years ago. As a photojournalist, you take pictures of what happens, and those pictures that you take during the game are then matched up with the actual real pictures of what actually happened along with the actual background information. I came away from this game with more knowledge than I had going in, and learned something. That says something. It didn’t change my mind that the Shah wasn’t a good leader and the resulting government was a bad, oppressive government, but it was replaced with something worse.

Gameplay, however, is short. I played through this game twice, once as I normally would, and once as a jerk, and sure enough, I got two different endings. That gameplay, however, added up to less than four hours.

Would I recommend the game? Heck, I would recommend the game AND the soundtrack, but with caveats. Because of what happens in the game, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone less than a high school student.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I’d heard about this game, but didn’t know it was a Telltale game (whose structure I’m familiar with thanks to watching E play Minecraft Story Mode).

ZLoth
    ZLoth

It’s not a Telltale game, but it follows the same structure.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed