100 things you may not have known about Enterprise

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek 22nd / 23rd Century 100 things you may not have known about Enterprise

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

If you can handle Ain’t It Cool News’ willingness to keep the “web site from the early ’90s” look alive, this is a pretty fascinating laundry list of revelations both major and minor revealed by the Enterprise blu-ray bonus features. [LINK]

Some highlights:

FutureGuy, Ensign Daniels and the Temporal Cold War elements were included in the first season because Paramount execs balked at the idea of making “Enterprise” a pure prequel. The time-travel element allowed “Enterprise” to serve as both a prequel and a sequel to its four predecessor series. Braga says he found the Temporal Cold War elements of the series “strangulating.”

Bakula also thought there should have been a longer break between “Voyager” and “Enterprise,” and Berman apparently agreed – but Paramount was determined to mount the next series quickly with or without Berman.

“Never had I felt more acutely the loss of [longtime writing partner] Ron Moore,” remembers Braga of his early days on “Enterprise.”

Braga says some members of a new executive regime that took over UPN during season two “didn’t really understand Star Trek.” One exec, says Braga, pitched the idea that a different boy band would board the Enterprise and perform a musical number each week.

Braga says when he brought longtime “Deep Space Nine” head writer Ira Steven Behr into the “Enterprise” offices in hopes of luring him onto the senior staff, Behr “shit all over the show. I mean, he shit on the show like I’ve never heard.”

Scott Bakula made an apparently unusually angry phone call to Braga over the Riker-centric “Enterprise” series finale Braga penned. (Braga now claims adding the TNG homage to the finale was his biggest regret regarding “Enterprise.”)

Pretty wild stuff, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. UPN was a wagonload of idiots.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

FutureGuy, Ensign Daniels and the Temporal Cold War elements were included in the first season because Paramount execs balked at the idea of making “Enterprise” a pure prequel. The time-travel element allowed “Enterprise” to serve as both a prequel and a sequel to its four predecessor series. Braga says he found the Temporal Cold War elements of the series “strangulating.”

Honestly, the idea of future groups tampering with the founding of the Federation could have been really interesting if it had been handled better. If they had incorporated that into the fabric of the show from the first outline of the series and was built upon gradually, the show might have been a whole different beast and the Trekkies might not have gotten so miffed at it.

One exec, says Braga, pitched the idea that a different boy band would board the Enterprise and perform a musical number each week.

This is a prime example of what I keep saying; television executives don’t know anything about television. You hear all these kinds of tales about clueless management throughout the years meddling with your favorite shows, it strains credulity after a while. Network executives can’t be that dumb, can they? Unfortunately, they can be. You don’t need to know how to do anything properly, you just have to know how to kiss ass, sleep with the right people, or be related to somebody higher up. From nationwide networks to small Arkansas TV outlets, incompetence in management is why we can’t have nice things.

I still don’t have a Blu-Ray player. I might pick up a PS3 when they hit $199, though. I’ll have to grab Enterprise at the same time.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Yes, most Blu-Ray players are cheaper than a PS3, but honestly I’m craving some modern gaming action as of late. My 360 is long dead thanks to my ****ing nephew, the thrift store Wii console I bought had disc errors due to abuse from the previous owner, and in the middle of dismantling it to fix the problem my DSL modem died from a power surge, so I couldn’t watch the rest of the multi-part YouTube videos on how to do the job and put it back together. It’s still in pieces, waiting for me to get around to fixing it. That just leaves the PS3. At this point in the product life cycle, there’s loads of dirt cheap games out there, and they’ll only get cheaper once the PS4 hits the market. Plus any hardware issues have already been ironed out by this stage (unlike the 360). It might be the best time for me to get a new console.

By the way, my brother-in-law doesn’t play video games. Has no use for them. As far back as Pong, he never had any desire to play them. But once his son bought a PS3 and he saw Skyrim, he was hooked. He used to play his son’s machine but didn’t like being kicked off it when Joshua wanted to play, so he went out and bought his own PS3, and on the rare days he doesn’t have to work (he’s a church pastor, he’s always having to deal with something or other) he’ll be in front of the TV, playing Skyrim while my sister bugs him on when can she have a turn.

One other thing recently revealed: if the show had gone to season 5, the series art directors and 3D modelers were pushing hard for a refit that would’ve made it look a little more…familiar. Click to zoom in to the full size version.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’ve seen pictures of the refit NX-01 before, and I can’t say that I like it very much. I really loved the design of the NX-01, its look I think fits perfectly into the Starfleet timeline of vessel design (far more than the Enterprise ring-ship that was on the screens of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, a ship design that was never related to Trek to begin with). It’s got a familiar vibe with future Federation ships while still having a retro “we’re still figuring this out” feeling. It’s a look that didn’t need to be updated, although story-wise it’d be interesting to see what kinds of facilities that would be placed in the new fuselage.

As far as season 5 goes, all I ever wanted to see was Captain Shran being posted as an ambassador on the bridge. If they could have gotten some good ‘banter’ writers onboard, it would have been fantastic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed