10 Games That Came Out in 1998 That Will Make You Say ‘You’re So Old’

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Computer Gaming 10 Games That Came Out in 1998 That Will Make You Say ‘You’re So Old’

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From Green Man Gaming:

10 Games That Came Out in 1998 That Will Make You Say ‘You’re So Old’

I am old.

Not, old old. But old enough. Old to remember no internet, to remember tape decks for my Commodore, to remember the Megadrive coming out, to remember Maggie Thatcher being in power.

So probably older than most of you reading this.

I recently covered ten games that came out in 2008, because time is horrible and frankly I can’t believe it’s been ten years since Mirror’s Edge came out.

Now I’m going to take a look a bit further back into the depths of time, and see what came out in 1998. No doubt I’ll have an even worse reaction and go ‘oh hell no, no way is that twenty years old’ a lot, and you reading this will probably go ‘ha ha that came out before I was born’ or something.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Funny thing is…among my very favorite PC games that I still play once or twice a year is Westwood’s Dune 2000, which has been patched by fans to run on modern machines. Even its sub-640×480 display has been revamped so I can play it on my big 720p TV/monitor in widescreen. The AI is tough (depending on settings), and it’s just one of the most wonderfully instinctive RTS games I’ve ever played (Westwood was also behind the original Command & Conquer series). None of the sequel games, including the more advanced Emperor: Battle For Dune, have ever captured my heart the same way.

The fan-made patches also bring back LAN/network play, though I have yet to invite anyone I know or don’t know to send their armies marching to their bloody death at my hands.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’ve never played Half-Life. The Macintosh version was cancelled three weeks away from mastering because Sierra didn’t like the fact that one of their boring RTS games (based in Egypt, I believe and possibly named Pharoah) only sold 3,000 copies for the Mac so therefore there must not be a market for games. They of course didn’t take into account that the Mac game shelves were flooded with similar RTS games (since they were so easy to port from the PC, along with countless Myst clones). I thought I’d get another chance when it was ported to the Dreamcast, but just weeks away from publication they cancelled that one too.

I’ve never played Fallout 2. I bought a copy of it cheap years ago, in a 2-pack along with the first game, but five minutes into the original game I realized this was the type of game I liked. This will chill you to the bone, but the only Fallout game I’ve ever played (and thoroughly enjoyed, playing it through three or four times) was Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for the Xbox and PS2.

I do remember playing Unreal and being really impressed with it. I also couldn’t tell you a thing about it now. I have no idea if I ever even finished it. I actually preferred Unreal Tournament, playing against the AI. Especially the Dreamcast version, it had a perfect FPS control system (at least at the time).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.